DIRECT ACTION & RALLY: CHEVRON RICHMOND REFINERY
cosponsored by Greenaction, West County Toxics Coalition, Amazon Watch, Richmond Progressive Alliance, Richmond Greens, Community Health Initiative, Communities for a Better Environment, Global Exchange, and Rainforest Action Network.
11am Rally at Judge G. Carroll Park
W. Cutting Blvd & S. Garrard Blvd, Richmond (map)
1pm Nonviolent Direct Action at Chevron Refinery
100 Chevron Way, Richmond (map)
(Free shuttle buses will leave from Richmond BART and Point Richmond – 3rd St. and Chesley Ave – at 9:30am, 10:30 AM, 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM.)
Join the March 15 & 19 DASW Text Mob to stay updated through the day:
Send a text to 40404 with the words “follow dasw” (case sensitive, no quotation marks). Standard rates apply.
The National Lawyers Guild legal hotline for arrestees is 415-285-1011. View the Direct Action to Stop the War Legal website.
The purpose of this action is shut the Chevron refinery down for the day, and to support community efforts to stop Chevron from expanding its refinery, which will increase pollution and cause asthma, cancer and rising death rates in surrounding communities. Chevron is driving the war and occupation in Iraq, refining over a million barrels of stolen Iraqi oil in Richmond a month, and actively lobbying for the privatization of Iraq¹s oil fields so companies like Chevron can seize control of them. Join us, and help send a clear message to Chevron: Stop stealing Iraqi oil, and stop polluting our communities! See our Chevron fact sheet. (Chevron fact sheet with footnotes.)
We will shut down the Richmond Chevron refinery by land, by bike, and by sea. We’re asking that you form an affinity group, and help us shut down Chevron. Here’s some ways you can plug in and help out:
1. Get together with a group of your friends, and help blockade the refinery (please check in with the Chevron working group if you want to do this – their email address is dasw.chevron [at] gmail.com).
2. To get involved in with the bike brigade, contact Bria at brihannala [at] gmail.com.
3. If you have a boat, you can join the ‘DASW Yacht Club! If you’re interested in this, please contact dasw.chevron [at] gmail.com.
4. If these options don’t sound appealing to you, there are many, many other important roles you can play in this action. Please come to the next Chevron organizing meeting (check back for details).
5. If helping organize this action isn’t something you have time for, you can just show up at Carroll Park (W. Cutting Blvd. and S. Garrard Blvd.
in Richmond) on March 15th, at 11am. And please tell your friends!